Rainbow Fruit and Cheese Kabobs
Fuel Your Active Lifestyle
Simple ways to boost fitness with dairy
(Family Features) Many people are taking advantage of warmer temperatures and increased hours of sunlight to get fit for the fun season ahead. As they do, they’ll be looking for ways to fuel their efforts. Enter dairy, a protein powerhouse that provides numerous benefits to active individuals.
More protein per ounce
The perfect addition to snack or mealtime, dairy foods offer a convenient way to add the protein needed to help you achieve your fitness goals. While helping your body build and repair muscle, as well regulate metabolism, it also keeps you satisfied longer. In fact, just one serving of milk, cheese or yogurt provides approximately 8 grams of high quality protein, including all essential amino acids. When it comes to smart snacking, dairy really packs a protein punch.
Whey protein is a high-quality protein found naturally in dairy foods, and it provides the nutrients that help promote better health.
Need a helpful way to remember this beneficial nutrition source? Think “Y-M-C-Whey” when you’re looking to fuel your fitness efforts:
- Y is for Yogurt: Enjoy this versatile food at any time of day. Double up on protein with Greek yogurt, which often contains twice the amount as regular yogurt.
- M is for Milk: Reach for low-fat chocolate milk after exercise. The protein it provides supports healthy muscles and the carbohydrates help refuel you with energy.
- C is for Cheese: Grab a slice, wedge or stick when you need something to tide you over between meals. The protein in cheese can curb hunger, which makes it a great tool for weight management.
- W is for Whey: Add whey protein powder to your post-workout smoothie or cereal, which can help build and maintain lean muscle.
It’s simple to power your fitness goals – whatever they may be – with dairy. Find more nutrition information and recipes to power up at www.dairymakessense.com.
Rainbow Fruit & Cheese Kabobs
- 6 straws (8-inches or longer)
- 6 ounces Monterey cheese, cut into 18 cubes
- 1/2 cup strawberry halves
- 1/2 cup cantaloupe, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup pineapple, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 kiwifruit, peeled and cut into 6 pieces
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 6 purple grapes
- To make a rainbow for each kabob, thread onto a straw a piece of cheese, a strawberry halve, a cantaloupe cube, a pineapple cube, another piece of cheese, a piece of kiwi, 2 blueberries, a grape and another piece of cheese. Repeat pattern with remaining straws.
Midwest Dairy Council
This entry was posted byin