Homemade Fish Tacos
Recipe: Homemade Fish Tacos
- 1 Lb. Orange Roughy Fillets (original recipe called for red snapper)
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Beer (we used Dos Equis)
- Oil for deep frying
- Corn Tortillas
- White Sauce (see Google search to find a recipe)
- Shredded Lettuce
- any other desired topping like: Avocado slices, cilantro, cabbage, shredded carrots, etc
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until it reaches 177°C (350°F).
- Wash and pat-dry fish fillets. Slice into 1-inch thick strips. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine thoroughly. Then, pour in the beer and mix with a spoon until smooth and no longer lumpy.
- Dip a piece of fish into the batter so that it is thoroughly coated and place in the frying pan. Repeat with a few more strips of batter-coated fish, but make sure not to crowd the pan. Fry until pieces are golden in color (about 4 minutes).
- Remove the fish to a cooling wrack that has something (like a cookie sheet) bellow it to catch the oil that will drip off the strips.
- Serve on tortillas with your choice of toppings.