Mac and Cheese with Buttery Crumbs
Summary: Macaroni and cheese with a panko breadcrumb topping as served by Blue in San Francisco, CA.
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) whole milk
- 1 lb (450 g) sharp cheddar cheese, diced
- 1/2 lb (225 g) Mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- Pinch each: freshly grated nutmeg, cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt + freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb (450 g) elbow macaroni
- 3/4 cup (185 mL) plain dried breadcrumbs (such as panko)
- Generously butter shallow, 8-cup (2-litre) baking dish.
- In medium saucepan, melt 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter over medium heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Whisk in milk. Cook, whisking, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Add half of both cheeses. Reduce heat to low. Stir until melted. Stir in mustard, nutmeg and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper.
- In large saucepan of boiling, salted water, cook macaroni as per package instructions. Drain well; return to pot. Stir in cheese sauce and remaining half of two diced cheeses. Spread in prepared baking dish.
- In small, glass bowl, melt remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter in microwave. Add breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until evenly moistened. Sprinkle buttered crumbs over macaroni.
- Bake in preheated 350F (180C) oven 45 minutes, or until bubbling and golden. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Recipe: Karen Louise Smith