Grandmas Savory Breakfast Casserole
Summary: This is a recipe that my grandmother makes all the time and has made for as long as a I remember. I gave it my own twist with some herbs and spices and a few other additions.
- 16 eggs
- 12 slices of whole wheat sandwich bread
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 cup pepper jack, shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 large slices of fat-free ham
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasonings
- 1 4-ounce jar pimentos
- Grease a 13 X 9 glass Pyrex dish. Assemble all ingredients together for layering process.
- Beat 16 eggs in a bowl. Add the milk and spices and seasonings. Set aside.
- Mix both shredded cheeses together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Brush each side of six slices of the whole wheat bread with melted butter and place each slice as a first layer in the dish. Layer next with 4 slices of ham. As the third layer, spread 1 cup of the mixed shredded cheeses over the ham.
- Pour half of the egg mixture over the first layer of ingredients and repeat the above process with rest of the bread, ham and ending with the cheese. Pour the remaining egg mixture over the casserole.
- Garnish the casserole with the pimentos and cover. Refrigerate overnight for the egg mixture and seasonings to have time to soak in the bread.
- Next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees and cook for 40-45 minutes or until lightly golden brown and egg is set.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8-10