Asparagus Phyllo Appetizers
Recipe: Asparagus Filled Phyllo Pastries
Summary: Give guests of your next dinner party something a little different like these Asparagus Phyllo Pastries. These appetizers are easy to make!
- 1 package phyllo dough, defrosted
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 bunch green asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Coarse ground pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp grated horseradish
- 1 tsp capers, mined
- 2 tsp whole seed mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If making immediately, preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, horseradish, capers and mustard. Taste and adjust seasonings. Reserve until ready to serve.
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Toss in the trimmed asparagus and blanch for 2 minutes, or until bright green. Drain into a colander and shock in a large bowl of ice water. Pat with paper towels and set aside. (This can be done a day ahead)
- Remove phyllo from package and place a barely damp towel over it to keep it from drying out. (If the towel is sopping the phyllo will get mushy. And that is no good.).
- Remove one sheet and lay it out on your work surface. Brush with a thin layer of melted butter, then sprinkle on some parmesan and then pepper. Place another layer on top and repeat with the butter and cheese, until you have 3 layers.
- Divide the phyllo into 5 equal strips and then down the center so you have 10 rectangles.
- Position a stalk of the asparagus on the bottom edge of a rectangle and roll it up. Brush the tips and outside with more butter and place on a lined sheet pan, seam side down.
- When ready, bake until golden brown, approx. 15 minutes. Serve hot with the sauce.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12