Oreo Truffle Brownie Cake
Recipe: Oreo Truffle Brownie Cake
Summary: The base is a brownie with Oreo truffle and ganache layers on top. They taste and look like an expensive, elegant, overly tedious dessert. Dense, chewy, cake-like brownie with the other, more silky layers.
- BROWNIE BASE:
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (57g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract (o 1-2 bustine di vaniglia) (I like extra vanilla!)
- 2/3 cups (83g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) of cocoa powder (I used Pernigotti)
- 1-2 tsp coffee or espresso powder (to enhance chocolate flavor; optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- OREO TRUFFLE LAYER (I ended up making the full recipe):
- 30 Oreo cookies or chocolate wafer cookies/biscuits
- 6 oz (170g) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (118ml) heavy cream or half-and-half
- 5 oz (142g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F/180°C and line a8x8-inch baking pan or 9″springform pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on the two long sides. Spray with baking or cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand or electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk flour, cocoa, coffee/espresso powder, and salt in a separate bowl and set aside. To the butter and sugar, add 2 eggs one at a time and vanilla extrace. Mix well, scraping down the bowl, as necessary. Add dry ingredients, and mix everything until just combined. Do not over mix!
- Place batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes (test with a toothpick; there should be just a few crumbs attached). Transfer brownies to a wire cooling rack and allow them to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the Oreo truffle layer. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse cookies and the cream cheese together until combined. You may need to stir things around between pulses.
- Once brownies are completely cool, spread the Oreo truffle layer over brownies with an offset spatula, clean hands, or the bottom of a cup.
- To make the ganache, heat the cream in small saucepan over medium heat until it is simmering or simply microwave it for 30-45 seconds. Meanwhile, place the chocolate chips in a medium heat-proof measuring cup or bowl. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate, and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes. Whisk the cream and chocolate together until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Pour the ganache over Oreo layer and spread with an offset spatula. Chill in the refrigerator until fully set. To slice and serve, lift the brownies out of the pan using the foil overhang, then use a sharp knife to cut into small squares. If using springform pan, simply remove the edges and serve! These brownies taste good cold and warm!
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12