Chicken in Sweet Corn Sauce
Recipe: Chicken in Sweet Corn Sauce
Summary: I rediscovered an old favorite and found that the flavors gained from making an extra effort are worth more than a few minutes saved by opening a can.
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled except for last layer of skin
- 3 dried aji Amarillo peppers, stems removed (seeds optional)
- 2 Tbsps cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsps water or chicken broth
- salt to taste
- 4 pieces split boneless chicken breasts
- Creamed Corn
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 4-5 cups fresh corn kernels
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsps all purpose flour
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup lowfat (1%) milk
- fresh oregano to garnish
- In a cast iron pan over medium-high heat, toast garlic until soft inside skin. Remove from pan and set aside to cool. Place chile peppers in hot pan to toast, turning to get all sides. Watch carefully as the peppers can quickly start to burn. Remove when toasty brown spots appear on skin. When done, place peppers in a small bowl and add hot water to cover. Allow to soak for 30 minutes.
- Peel cooled garlic and place in a food processor. Add chile peppers and pulse a few times to chop them up. Add water or broth and vinegar, pulsing between tablespoons, until paste forms. Add salt to taste.
- Spread paste over chicken pieces and let marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
- In a large sauté or fry pan, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Sauté onions until soft but not browned; add corn and stir to mix well, then add chicken broth. Cover and let corn cook through, about 3-5 minutes. Mix flour, salt, pepper and dried oregano, and sprinkle mixture over corn; stir to coat kernels. Add milk and cook until it begins to thicken. Take one cup of corn mixture and purée in a food processor, then add back into the pan. Stir and cook until it reaches a thick, creamy consistency.
- Grill or bake marinated chicken and serve with creamed corn sauce on top and a side of steamed rice.
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4