Lemon Yogurt Loaf Cake
Recipe: Lemon Yogurt Loaf Cake
Summary: This cake is super moist, with what I’d call a “springy” texture to it. I really liked how the lemon syrup gives it that lemon bar flavor.
- For loaf cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt, well-stirred and at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs (I used large)
- Zest of 2 lemons (2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/3 cup and I think it was enough)
- For lemon-sugar syrup:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/4 x 2 1/2 inch loaf pan (you can also use a 9 x 5 x 3 inch pan). Line the bottom with parchment; grease and flour the pan (or use baking spray).
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together. Place the cup of sugar in a large bowl and zest the lemons directly over it. Rub the zest into the sugar with your fingertips until fragrant and slightly moistened. Whisk in the yogurt, eggs, and vanilla until well blended. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet. With a rubber spatula, fold the oil into the batter until thoroughly incorporated. Pour batter into the prepared pan, smoothing out the top.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- When the cake is nearly done, cook the 1/3 cup of lemon juice and 1/3 cup of sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
- Remove cake from the oven and allow it to cool 10 minutes before carefully (the pan will be hot) removing it from the pan and discarding the parchment paper. Invert cake back onto a wire rack. Set the rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar syrup over the cake (I use a spoon), allowing it to soak in. Cool cake completely.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 50 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 10