Easy and Light Coconut Cake
Recipe: Easy and Light Coconut Cake
Summary: Our dessert was this coconut cake, which was easy, absolutely delicious and somewhat light (I wouldn’t call it “healthy” but it’s not as loaded with fat as some other desserts).
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix (cake mixes have gone down in size since this recipe was written, but a regular boxed mix works)
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe below)
- Flaked coconut for topping, optional
- Light Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 ounces 1/3-less-fat block-style cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray; dust with flour.
- Combine cake mix and next 5 ingredients (cake mix through egg); beat at low speed of a mixer for 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with flaked coconut and brown sugar; top with remaining batter. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake completely in pan. Spread the Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting over top of cake. Sprinkle with extra coconut.
- Light Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese and vanilla at high speed of a mixer until creamy. Gradually add the sugar, beating at low speed until well-blended.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12 – 15