Cornmeal and Honey Breakfast Waffles
Summary: Looking for a homemade waffles recipe that stays crisp, freezes easily, and is delish? Cornmeal breakfast waffles with a little honey for sweetness are perfectly crispy and tender at the same time. The cornmeal gives them that comforting country breakfast vibe and helps them stay as crisp under melted butter and hot syrup.
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cups yellow stone ground corn meal
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup melted butter (or use 1/4 cup melted butter and 1/4 cup bacon grease)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring or vanilla
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Beat the eggs at high speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the rest of the ingredients.
- Spray the waffle iron with a little olive oil or cooking spray.
- Pour the batter onto the waffle iron.
- Close the top and cook until the steam stops coming out.
- Life the top and let the waffle sit on the open iron for a few seconds to crisp up.
- Remove with a fork to a cookie sheet in a warm over.
These freeze really well. Just take them from the freezer and pop them in the toaster for a quick breakfast.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8