Creole Dirty Rice
Recipe: Creole Dirty Rice
Summary: Here’s a great recipe for your Mardi Gras celebration.
- 2 Tbs bacon drippings
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1 lb. chicken giblets (chopped)
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground pork*
- 1 Cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 Cup green pepper (chopped)
- 2 Cloves garlic (crushed or minced)
- 2 Cup chicken stock
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. to 1/2 tsp. pepper flakes (according to taste)
- 6 Cups cooked rice
- 1/2 Cups fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 Cups scallions (diced)
- In a heavy large skillet, add flour to bacon drippings and brown flour till it turns a deep reddish brown. Stir continually to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Next, add all 3 meats, stirring to brown and break up clumps. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic, stirring and cooking till vegetables are soft. Stir in broth and seasonings, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. Finally, add rice, parsley, and scallions.
- Cook 5-10 more minutes, uncovered. (It should be moist.) Serve as side dish with chicken or pork, or use as filling for stuffed peppers. You can also serve it as a main dish. * Some recipes call for sausage instead of ground pork, or in addition to, ground pork.
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8