Vanilla Bean Cream Pie
Recipe: Vanilla Bean Cream Pie
Summary: Yep, this pie is truly tasty. Though there are no eggs in it, it sets up like a dream and is extremely smooth and velvety. The highlight for me, of course, is the sprinkling of cinnamon.
- 9 inch pie crust, baked and cooled
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or one vanilla bean
- For topping:
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cornstarch; set aside.
- On low to medium heat in a medium-sized sauce pan, add 4 tablespoons of butter, heavy cream, and milk. If you’re using a vanilla bean, scrape the seeds from the bean and add them and the empty bean to the pot with the liquids. After the butter has melted, remove the bean, then slowly add the cornstarch and sugar mixture. Cook, stirring constantly with a wire whisk just until the mixture is thick and creamy. This will take approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, if using.
- Immediately pour the mixture into the pie crust and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Place the pie under the broiler until the butter bubbles. Watch your pie carefully; this will not take long.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.